The Wolf Man of Comstock

By: Gary Humphreys, Class of 1964

As told by Maudie Belle McNutt Humphreys circa 1950’s

The wolf man was discovered around 1924 near Comstock, Texas on the McNutt Ranch. Maudie McNutt about 10 years of age was riding horse back with her Grandfather Peter McNutt and several hands of the McNutt Ranch. North east of the ranch headquarters near a dirt tank, the group rode upon a lamb that had just been killed. Immediately Pete McNutt said, “look straight ahead and keep riding”. They rode by the slaughtered lamb not looking down. In the past they had found other stock dead as if they had been slaughtered. And Items have turned up missing out of the tool shed. Riding straight ahead and going over a hill Pete instructed little Maudie along with one of the hands to return the Ranch Headquarters.

After Maudie and the hand had ridden a safe distance, Pete and the other hands circled around and returned to the slaughtered lamb. Topping the hill again Pete saw movement at the site. Pulling out their ropes and spurring their horses, they rode in and roped the Wolfman. Not being violent but scared the Wolfman gave in. Pete and his men returned to the ranch headquarters with the captured Wolfman, the dark skinned man was heavily bearded, his hair long and matted, he was unbathed and half dressed in sheep skin with a foul odor.

Standing out front of the rock house near the cool box (a spring where Grandmaw Margaret McNutt kept her perishables in glass jars submerged in the cool water) Margaret, Maudie, Mary and Pauline along with the hand had all five sets of eyes on the Wolfman as they approached the house.

When they reached the house, Pete instructed the men to tie the Wolfman to one of the pecan trees in the yard. Maudie went into the house returned with a fresh glass of water. Pete said he would ride into Comstock the following morning and fetch Sheriff M. L. Whistler out of Del Rio to come and pick him up. That night Pete locked him in the tool shed out behind the house. Sleep was short that night for all. Margaret prepared a plate and Maudie took the plate to the Wolfman. He did not talk but only grunted and ate with his hands. Maudie said other than looks he seemed harmless. 

After about three days the Sheriff arrived to transport the Wolfman to Del Rio. Over a cup of coffee Pete and the sheriff discussed that they suspected that the Wolfman had escaped from a mental institution and had probably got off the train near Comstock. Judging from his looks he had been living off the land for some time. Researching the Sheriff’s records from the 20’s nothing could be found as to what happened to the Wolfman. Maudie presumed he was returned to an Institute and lived out his life there.