Founded in 1868 on the edge of the Chihuahuan desert and just three miles from the Rio Grande, Del Rio began as an agricultural community. Early residents had access to intermittent schooling opportunities for their children, in the 1870's. The community used an adobe structure as a schoolhouse whenever a teacher was available. During the 1880's, children attended classes in a two room, wood frame building at Pecan and Greenwood Streets. That decade brought significant changes to the community. As the Del Rio Common School District organized in 1884 and Val Verde County began the following year with Del Rio as the seat of government in 1890, residents voted to create an Independent School District, which included much of the present-day Del Rio except for the San Felipe neighborhood, which create its own district.
This site is funded by Del Rio Wildcat Alumni. To contribute, please mail checks to:11785 W. Lakeshore DrConroe, TX 77303Please make the check payable to "DR Wildcat Website."
Del Rio High School Wildcat Alumni