Dr. Harold McFarlane, a 1963 Del Rio High School graduate, is serving as the Deputy Associate Laboratory Director for Nuclear Programs and Director of the Space Systems and Technology Division of the U. S. Department of Energy’s Idaho National Laboratory. Dr. McFarlane recently was the senior technical adviser to the U. S. Department of Energy’s assistant secretary for nuclear energy. He received an Exceptional Service Award from the DOE in recognition of his “outstanding performance in support of the Office of Nuclear Energy in 2010 and 2011”.
Joe San Miguel, Class of 1965, will end a 49 year career with the Del Rio News Hearld on June 1st.
He will continue to live in Del Rio and will continue to serve the News-Herald as a consultant.
San Miguel, a native of Zaragoza in Coahuila, Mexico, came to Del Rio at age 9 and began working at the News-Herald in 1962 while he was still in school.
In light of a recent headline, and article in the Del Rio News Herald, as noted in the excerpt below – we received the below story of different times when “Boys will be Boys in the early to mid 1950’s”.
More than 85 drug cases reported at local schools
Superintendent Kelt Cooper made the first ever discipline report presentation at the San Felipe Del Rio Consolidated Independent School District Board of Trustees meeting Monday.
The report details, by school, the number of student suspensions and expulsions, as well as incidences related to drugs, gang violence and fighting during the 2010-11 school year.
At the Del Rio High School, 268 students were suspended and 21 have been expelled, according to information provided by Cooper.
Note: Reading the DRNH online is not free anymore.
Gene Harvey Nerren and Jo Ann Ricks Nerren of Lufkin, celebrated their 55th Wedding Anniversary
We Wildcat’s are fortunate that we have so many Alumni who have written books i.e. John K. Finnegan’s “A Texas Ranching Family” and “But Granny; T. J. Jarrett’s “Kin, Cowboys, Outlaws and Friends” and Winifred Thompson’s “Doors to Destiny”.
Founded in 1868 on the edge of the Chihuahuan desert and just three miles from the Rio Grande, Del Rio began as an agricultural community. Early residents had access to intermittent schooling opportunities for their children, in the 1870's. The community used an adobe structure as a schoolhouse whenever a teacher was available. During the 1880's, children attended classes in a two room, wood frame building at Pecan and Greenwood Streets. That decade brought significant changes to the community. As the Del Rio Common School District organized in 1884 and Val Verde County began the following year with Del Rio as the seat of government in 1890, residents voted to create an Independent School District, which included much of the present-day Del Rio except for the San Felipe neighborhood, which create its own district.
This site is funded by Del Rio Wildcat Alumni. To contribute, please mail checks to:11785 W. Lakeshore DrConroe, TX 77303Please make the check payable to "DR Wildcat Website."